Soul Society
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The newest Anime Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Smoking

Go down 
+5
benelori
Pim
BigJDelux
Starky
smart.deedee
9 posters
AuthorMessage
smart.deedee
Seated Officer Level
smart.deedee

Female Posts : 292

Smoking Empty
PostSubject: Smoking   Smoking EmptyMon Feb 01, 2010 9:20 am

Hello guys. Just wanted to know your opinions on smoking. Whether you believe that in fact it is harmful to health and the issues that may arise from long term consumption. Also, whether you smoke or not, what are your views on public smoking and the bans that exist in many parts of the world. Do they hinder people's liberties whilst being in public, or is it okay for governments to treat this as a public health issue and ban public use in benefit of non smokers?

For non-smokers, does it bother you when other people smoke around you?
Back to top Go down
Starky
Administrator
Starky

Male Posts : 837

Smoking Empty
PostSubject: Re: Smoking   Smoking EmptyMon Feb 01, 2010 9:22 am

I don't smoke, nor do I ever want to. I don't mind if people smoke outside, but not in pubs, stores, planes ect... I don't like it when people smoke around me, but that doesn't stop them >.> I also believe it is dangerous for the health.
Back to top Go down
https://soulsociety.4umer.com
BigJDelux
Vice-Captain Level
BigJDelux

Male Posts : 539
Location : doing fist bumps with Shinji, then drinking with Hisagi

Smoking Empty
PostSubject: Re: Smoking   Smoking EmptyMon Feb 01, 2010 10:10 am

well, i have seen through family and friends (and as a dentist) some of the things that smoking can do to you. when i was a teenager, i smoked for about 4 years, regularly. after that it was just socially (when i was drinking at a party). now i really don't smoke at all. my wife can't stand the smell. the smell is somewhat nostalgic to me, although sometimes i am just not in the mood to smell it. i don't care at all if people smoke outside, as long as they don't throw their cigarette butts on the ground. otherwise, i would rather it not ruin me enjoying my food at a restaurant.

that is all i got Smile
Back to top Go down
Pim
Seated Officer Level
Pim

Male Posts : 311
Location : My computer room. My Naughty Room has too less space for the computer

Smoking Empty
PostSubject: Re: Smoking   Smoking EmptyMon Feb 01, 2010 10:23 am

I was so happy when the government forbid smokers to smoke in public areas. Especially restaurants, cafes and pubs. But soon, the smaller ones didn't listen to it anymore as all the smokers would come to them. Now the rule is gone (I think) Sad
Back to top Go down
benelori
Captain Level
benelori

Male Posts : 1055

Smoking Empty
PostSubject: Re: Smoking   Smoking EmptyMon Feb 01, 2010 11:50 am

Smoking definitely harms...but so do many other things...so I rather eat healthy and do some sport,and keep the smoking...why?...becuz I like it...taste, mood, everything
About the restrictions of the government...the best thing is to have smoking and no smoking areas...the smoking areas should have air-conditioning and similar equipment to get rid of the smoke....cuz even smokers, don't like when there's much smoke...in public areas...there should smoknig areas as well...then the non-smokers would avoid those areas, and the smokers would have their own place as well...it's not like cigarette smoke is doing damage to surroundings
I smoke Marlboro filters(red) and sometimesI have the feeling that it's enough...so I stop for a few days...then restart...I think about smoking as a general activity like any other... too much is definitely not good, and if a person doesn't like it, then I won't do it near that person
Back to top Go down
Somedude
Seated Officer Level
Somedude

Male Posts : 210

Smoking Empty
PostSubject: Re: Smoking   Smoking EmptyMon Feb 01, 2010 2:16 pm

Smoking is one of the worst things you can do to yourself, right up there with illegal drugs and alcohol. My mom smokes in the house every day, and it gave my dog cancer and killed her. And I'm pretty sure I'm gonna get lung cancer from the secondhand smoke eventually. Honestly, it should be banned or restricted far more than it currently is.
Back to top Go down
benelori
Captain Level
benelori

Smoking Empty
PostSubject: Re: Smoking   Smoking EmptyMon Feb 01, 2010 2:18 pm

Seconhand smoking is worse then smoking URself, so people should mind the non-smokers...my dad for example always asked us to go away when he smoked in the house, and now that me and my bro are a bit older, he smokes outside
Back to top Go down
monkeyking
Shinigami
Shinigami
monkeyking

Male Posts : 124

Smoking Empty
PostSubject: Re: Smoking   Smoking EmptyMon Feb 01, 2010 3:23 pm

I personally don't like smoking, to me it has a very offensive smell, and studies have already shown that it's definitely bad for health.

About the issue of a public ban:
People can argue that smoke affects the people around it, non-smokers and the environment, etc. But couldn't alcohol also lead to harmful affects on those around the user? It impairs judgement and stuff like that, causes car crashes. Using that logic you could argue for some sort of public ban on alcohol too.

This is something we definitely don't want, so I'm not sure a public ban is the best choice here. If people wanted to get rid of smoking, they would have to work on changing our culture, because smoking is still entrenched in it.
Back to top Go down
BigJDelux
Vice-Captain Level
BigJDelux

Male Posts : 539
Location : doing fist bumps with Shinji, then drinking with Hisagi

Smoking Empty
PostSubject: Re: Smoking   Smoking EmptyMon Feb 01, 2010 3:54 pm

i agree that it is harmful for people. but to tell someone they can't do it anywhere but in their own home is ridiculous. what would be next, they couldn''t smoke OUTSIDE on their own property. when a smoker is outside ANYWHERE, the effect on your health would be neglible. you should see the lungs of someone who lives in an urban area who isn't a smoker. . . still pretty bad. if you aren't exposed CONSTANTLY the effects would not be even detectable. (so SD, you have a good argument for your feeling)

i just hate the idea of someone being told they ARE NOT ALLOWED/RESTRICTED TO DO SOMETHING, when that thing is still a legal action.

i am not trying to critisize ANYONE, these are just my feelings.
Back to top Go down
benelori
Captain Level
benelori

Smoking Empty
PostSubject: Re: Smoking   Smoking EmptyMon Feb 01, 2010 4:02 pm

Yeah...restrictions are bad...they should let people smoke in special areas, since the non-smokers have their right of not inhaling the smoke...
And good point...many other things ruin people's health, not just smoking, but I guess smoking is just more popular or the smell is infamous whatever...
It's hilarious when someone for example who didn't move his whole life and lived on fast food to say smoking is bad to my health blablabla
Back to top Go down

Smoking Empty
PostSubject: Re: Smoking   Smoking EmptyMon Feb 01, 2010 4:24 pm

Smoking sucks. I hate smokers. Of course it's harmful to our health, especially passive smokers. I don't want to get lung cancer Evil or Very Mad Public smoking should be banned. What really sucks is smoke can be diffused so there's no avoiding it.
Oh I especially hate it when smokers finish their cigarettes then get on a public A/C bus and sit next to me :rawr They smell like cigarette smoke.
Back to top Go down
Pim
Seated Officer Level
Pim

Location : My computer room. My Naughty Room has too less space for the computer

Smoking Empty
PostSubject: Re: Smoking   Smoking EmptyTue Feb 02, 2010 5:20 am

monkeyking wrote:
About the issue of a public ban:
People can argue that smoke affects the people around it, non-smokers and the environment, etc. But couldn't alcohol also lead to harmful affects on those around the user? It impairs judgement and stuff like that, causes car crashes. Using that logic you could argue for some sort of public ban on alcohol too.

This is something we definitely don't want, so I'm not sure a public ban is the best choice here. If people wanted to get rid of smoking, they would have to work on changing our culture, because smoking is still entrenched in it.

I don't drink too Very Happy
So actually, I wouldn't mind it.

But smoking can't be compared to alcohol as both causes damage to others in different ways.
Back to top Go down
smart.deedee
Seated Officer Level
smart.deedee

Female Posts : 292

Smoking Empty
PostSubject: Re: Smoking   Smoking EmptyTue Feb 02, 2010 11:18 am

I think that, as Benelori has pointed, there's just not a correct way to approach this. The answer is not to restrict smoking, since that's every person's prerogative if they do or don't, but instead to allow smoking in places that are conditioned for it. To put it somewhat ligtly, people who don't like alcohol don't go into liquor stores. The same could be applied to this problem.

The thing is that from a political standpoint, it's easier to ban consumption in public places than to come up with better solutions. By banning, you are creating a law that forbids it, so if you break it, there will be sanctions. If they're monetary, it's even better for the government since they're profiting from it. Now, if you want to create the conditions to allow public smoking, then you have to invest a lot of money not only in construction, but maintenance as well, so it's far more expensive.

I'm still trying to figure out how big tobaco plays into the ban. I don't think that they're economically harmed by it, but they probably have a say in it, and considering all the money they have, they could really swing the votes to disapprove it.

BTW, has anyone seen the movie "Thanks for Smoking"?
Back to top Go down
InsaneGirl
Trainee
Trainee
InsaneGirl

Female Posts : 3

Smoking Empty
PostSubject: Re: Smoking   Smoking EmptyTue Feb 02, 2010 1:18 pm

I smoke at least once every two days Smile
Back to top Go down
benelori
Captain Level
benelori

Smoking Empty
PostSubject: Re: Smoking   Smoking EmptyWed Mar 10, 2010 4:49 am

^^That's good...how Ru holding up with that?Cigs are getting expensive here, so I smoke 1 or 2 packs a week, but if it's a party a pack goes down the river for sure
Back to top Go down
Pim
Seated Officer Level
Pim

Smoking Empty
PostSubject: Re: Smoking   Smoking EmptyWed Mar 10, 2010 10:04 pm

Good bump Very Happy
My bf is trying to quit smoking for me ^.^
Back to top Go down
Starky
Administrator
Starky

Smoking Empty
PostSubject: Re: Smoking   Smoking EmptyThu Mar 11, 2010 8:12 am

I tried smoking not that long ago because of my depression(stupid reason), anyway I didn't like it so I wont continue it Razz
Back to top Go down
Pim
Seated Officer Level
Pim

Smoking Empty
PostSubject: Re: Smoking   Smoking EmptyThu Mar 11, 2010 8:44 am

Starky wrote:
I tried smoking not that long ago because of my depression(stupid reason), anyway I didn't like it so I wont continue it Razz

Starky, I'm disappointed No Why didn't you listen to the doctor? Alcohol is the solution, not smoking Wink
Anyway, as I speak of experience, it's no fun to kiss with somebody who smokes, while you don't ._.
Back to top Go down
Starky
Administrator
Starky

Smoking Empty
PostSubject: Re: Smoking   Smoking EmptyThu Mar 11, 2010 10:02 am

lol don't worry about it Pim, it's not gonna happen again Razz
Back to top Go down
benelori
Captain Level
benelori

Smoking Empty
PostSubject: Re: Smoking   Smoking EmptyThu Mar 11, 2010 2:21 pm

Yeah the kissing part sucks...that's why if UR a smoker it's good to have a smoker girlfriend/boyfriend...Very Happy...seriously...it's true it sucks, so one should be careful...that's why heavy smoking is more dangerous...it scares away partner material people
Back to top Go down
Haseo The Terror Of Death
Vice-Captain Level

Male Posts : 558

Smoking Empty
PostSubject: Re: Smoking   Smoking EmptyFri Mar 12, 2010 6:35 am

X.X You guys made a smoking thread and you all never told me lol...
Well 1st off smoking is bad. (For your lunges xD)
Well for pubs I wouldn't really mind though as nothing their really matter... But if I was at a restaurant and I get smoke on my food and crap. I get pissed. Sio my opinion is like a 50/50 It's cool but not that cool.
I smoke a lot of pot and cigs (Blue Camel Crush Very Happy)
But I have problems now with pot xD O.o If you swallow the smoke (Smoke = Poison xD) Your life has just been shorten just by doing that stupid move which I have done o.o
Back to top Go down
http://pto-clan.darkbb.com/forum.htm
Pim
Seated Officer Level
Pim

Smoking Empty
PostSubject: Re: Smoking   Smoking EmptyFri Mar 12, 2010 8:05 am

Well actually, I think it's a more stupid move to start smoking in the first place as you can only do the stupid move you did if you smoke >.<
But that's my opinion.

It's also my opinion that due to LL's post, an image of Koffing should be posted, so there XD:
Smoking No_Wonder_he__s_Koffing____by_Splapp_me_do

(I was actually looking for a normal Koffing image, but this one fits this topic better XD)
Back to top Go down
Somedude
Seated Officer Level
Somedude

Male Posts : 210

Smoking Empty
PostSubject: Re: Smoking   Smoking EmptyFri Mar 12, 2010 7:11 pm

I can never look at Koffing the same again
Back to top Go down
Vice-Captain Level

Male Posts : 558

Smoking Empty
PostSubject: Re: Smoking   Smoking EmptyFri Mar 12, 2010 9:14 pm

Pim wrote:
Well actually, I think it's a more stupid move to start smoking in the first place as you can only do the stupid move you did if you smoke >.<
But that's my opinion.

It's also my opinion that due to LL's post, an image of Koffing should be posted, so there XD:
Smoking No_Wonder_he__s_Koffing____by_Splapp_me_do

(I was actually looking for a normal Koffing image, but this one fits this topic better XD)

Rofl xD Koffing looks insane now. Best Pokemon ever xD
Back to top Go down
http://pto-clan.darkbb.com/forum.htm
Sponsored content

Smoking Empty
PostSubject: Re: Smoking   Smoking Empty

Back to top Go down

Smoking
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Soul Society :: Social Area :: General-
Jump to: